As you may or may not know, a Big Green Egg weighs a lot. It's also weird and awkward to handle. As you might have guessed I enlisted Labon's help to lift the sucker into its new home. Many folks on the forum suggested removing the dome first. I don't have any idea how I would do that since my bolts and hardware are all bent up from where they torqued everything into place when it was assembled. So we just bear hugged it and dropped it in while Heather and Katie made sure the paving stone and Egg "feet" were in place. It wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't all that bad either. Using a work glove I did some of the final adjustments by reaching down into the thing and lifting by the vent hole. The work glove was nice, because that sheet metal around the vent is sharp. Anyway, it was easier than I would have expected.
Always on the lookout for deals, Labon pointed out that Harris Teeter had a special on lobster tails. Half off! So this seemed like a good food to break in the table. All of the tails were about 0.4 lbs.
After some research I found that the Naked Whiz had a recipe that sounded good, called Dwell in the Shell (see page 89 of the .pdf document).
I kind of thought 6 tails would be enough for 4 people, by the way. Was it? Let's just say that Heather made a HUGE salad and there was nothing left. In other words nobody filled up on lobster.
But to prepare the tails the first order of business was cutting off the legs and membrane on the underside. I did this with some kitchen scissors. On the flip side I used a big ol chopping knife to crack a notch in the tops of the shells going lengthwise. After rubbing the meat down with a little olive oil I applied some lemon juice, season salt and garlic powder. The tails went back into the fridge for about 90 minutes.
With the Egg around 450 I put them on for 5 minutes. Let's take a peek with the daisy wheel cam . . .
Here they are after 5 minutes. Notice, that I haven't replaced my gasket yet.
We flipped them over and drizzled each with melted butter, which we had sautéed with minced garlic.
The butter flared up like a muther.
The recipe called to let them cook on their backs another 5 minutes. But the recipe was for 1 pound tails. These were less than half of that, so we yanked them after about 3 minutes on their backs. I'd say they were just right. We dipped them in the leftover garlic butter and I have to say they were yummy to quite yummy.
And check this out. The next day we got some good rain, so I got to see how the varnish worked. I like it.