Monday, September 24, 2012

Celebrate the Fire

Here's something I've learned about myself. Sometimes a cook is about a new and interesting recipe. Sometimes it's about the journey of going low and slow. Other times it's just about doing something quick and tasty.

Then there's the times where you just want to celebrate the fire. When I get the urge to have a big, juicy steak I've learned that some of that is rooted to the desire to rev up my Big Green Egg and listen to that sizzle when meat slaps down on cast iron.

As a matter of course these days when I cook steaks and chops I use the T-Rex method, which I found on the Naked Whiz's website. The hot link takes you there. 

My wife came home with these lovely cuts, which also happened to be on sale. All I did was brush them with olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt and fresh-ground pepper.

I've read mixed reviews about food safety and cooking steaks. I always leave my steaks out for an hour or more (wrapped up and resting on the kitchen counter) to get them as close to room temperature as possible. The reasoning I've heard is that cold tissues cook up to be tougher than warmer tissues. Just as you want to warm up your muscles prior to a strenuous workout, you don't want to grill cold meat. Others have said that this increases your risk for food poisoning, but I've never had a problem. Anyone got any opinions here?

Anyway while I was watching some football; letting the steaks warm up and letting the Big Green Egg heat up things actually got out of control. For the first time ever I "pegged" my thermometer. As you may be able to see, it appears as if we were north of 800f, folks. Yessss.

So if you've been to Grill Knuckles in the past, you've probably seen shots like these before. Nothing new here. I just love getting it hot as all get out and searing a good steak like crazy. I did 2 minutes on each side. I rotated them at 60 seconds to get the nice cross-hatched grill marks. That left the steaks with a great seared "crust." 
Then I took them inside on a plate and let them sit for the 25 minutes or so it took for the grill to cool back down to the 375f neighborhood.
I stood the steaks bone-side down and cooked for another 5-6 minutes until they were reading in the 130-135f range on the inside.
This was 135f when I pulled it and it rested for 5 minutes before I cut in. That's just how I like it.

That's all. Just wanted to share my love of the fire. Thanks for reading.


  1. First of all, the only part of the steak that would be subject to microbial growth during that hour would be the outside and you are going to nuke that with searing temps, so I have no problem with the hour at room temp.

    Secondly, gorgeous looking steaks, Gray!

  2. Thanks for helping put my mind at ease. That makes total sense to me. I think I "nuked" all microbes in a 20 ft radius that day.